On 16 June, President Cyril Ramaphosa of South Africa visited Kyiv, where he put forward his peace plan.
He made the announcement after talks with Volodymyr Zelenskyy.
His plan includes the following points:
1. It is necessary for the mediator to listen carefully to Ukraine and Russia.
2. Peace must be achieved through diplomatic means.
3. It is necessary to de-escalate the conflict.
4. The sovereignty of states must be respected.
5. Security must be guaranteed for all countries.
6. It is necessary to ensure the movement of grain and fertilisers.
7. It is necessary to provide humanitarian aid to the victims of the war.
8. It is necessary to exchange prisoners of war.
9. It is necessary to rebuild the country after the war.
10. It is necessary to build better relations between Ukraine and African countries.
Instead, Volodymyr Zelenskyy stressed that negotiations were impossible as long as Russians were on the territory of Ukraine. "We need real peace, which means the real withdrawal of Russian troops from all of our independent land," he said.